Thursday, January 31, 2013

Compassion

I stumbled across a really moving blog post a few months back, meant to post about it, and found it again today. It was perfect medicine.

Everyday we have an opportunity to move deeper into love by showing compassion to ourselves and to each other. It's so easy to judge others based on our own false sense of righteousness or focus-shifting insecurity. It is hard work to respect others' choices and stand by our own. To honor our own growing process and to acknowledge that our way is not the only way, but hopefully if we are coming from a good and true place, it is the best way for ourselves. Then perhaps we can give the same respect to other parents. I find myself asking why a mother would do this or that, and I know nothing about the situation. To look at another human being, parent or not, to wish them well and appreciate their process as unique, bumpy and sacred as my own is tough work. But I feel called to stop judging because it doesn't help. What if we simply offered a smile to that person whose choices we are questioning.

The truth is we are in this life and world together. My son may grow up to be your daughter's friend, boss or lover. We are connected even though it often feels much the opposite. So my good deed is yours. And your good intention benefits me.

Check out the blog posting here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amy-morrison/motherhood_b_2271349.html

No comments:

Post a Comment