Thursday, May 10, 2012

That's What Friends Are For



I would like to thank the beautiful, talented and generous Aimee Deshayes for allowing me to attend my first audition back after having Phoenix.








I was so excited when I saw a Starbucks commercial audition in my inbox yesterday. It was for today @ 11am. And Callard was scheduled to audition @ the exact same time.

While we have gotten numerous offers for babysitting from people we trust, most people are unavailable during the weekday or last minute. Last week I met our neighbor Sonia, a Costa Rican nanny who watches kids on the block, and will work last minute-but "that's more per hour." I met her Friday and haven't checked her references.  As charming as she was--she talked our ears off for an hour, Phee went straight to sleep--she's a stranger, and the thought of leaving my sweet boy with a stranger is scary. But some day I'll have to get over that fear when I work or have some time to myself. So maybe we'll check her references and give it a go.

Luckily we were blessed with dear Aimee's on site nanny service. This looks like Aimee and I driving together to the audition, chatting, laughing, sipping our coffees. Then Aim keeping an eye on Phoenix while I'm in the room.



It got me thinking about an "on-site" nanny for actors. We often need someone to watch our munchkins just for 10 or 15 minutes. If we could have a nanny meet us @ the audition site and hold/comfort/entertain baby while momma auditions we'd save ourselves a lot of stress! I'm picturing a nanny who lives near Ocean Park or 200 S. La Brea or the other audition factories who we pay $5 for the 'quick sit.' It's the cost of most overpriced LA lattes.

When Phee is older I probably won't mind asking a fellow actor to keep an eye on him. I'm just grateful today that his Tante Aimee got to hang with him. And me. Thanks Aimee!

2 comments:

  1. Genius idea! If I were an eager teen looking to make some dough I would just camp out and make a lemonade stand in the lobby but for short term child care. You could make bank once the word got out.
    And your welcome to drop phee off with us any time. We would LOVE IT!!! Baby blanket time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea!!! i love king phee. miss him....

    ReplyDelete